One-Year Student Visa Course (Fukuoka only)

Since 2015, GenkiJACS’ Fukuoka Japanese Language School has been accredited by the Japanese government to offer student visas for one-year courses (extendable to 18 months) starting in April or October. This course is a great way to stay in Japan for an extended time, improve your Japanese proficiency to a high level, and maybe even work part-time too!

Please note: This course is also available to people with other long-term visas, such as Working Holiday visa, Spouse/Dependent visa, etc.

Looking for a short-term course instead?

Studnt visa course

The Japanese student visa application is quite complex and difficult. However, GenkiJACS can complete most of the process for you, and provides support in English for any parts you have to do. We're here to make it easy for you! As of 2017, 100% of our visa applications have been approved.

Please note that because of government restrictions on student visas, this course has some specific conditions, so please read this page carefully. The student visa has several government requirements, including academic (you must pass regular tests to move to the next unit of study) and attendance (you must attend more than 80% of classes or your visa may be cancelled). We recommend student visa applications for students who are serious about learning Japanese.

The Course

Our Standard Japanese course, booked and paid in advance for a year. You'll study 20 class hours per week - two classes focus on grammar, and two classes focus on applying your skills to real-world situations. Classes have a maximum of 8 students, and focus on communication skills for daily life, rather than academic Japanese. Most schools offer the minimum of 38 weeks of classes per year, but with Genki you’ll have a full 40 weeks of classes! While our student visa course is a little more expensive than other schools, it offers far far more:

  Other Schools GenkiJACS
Class weeks per year 38 weeks 40 weeks
Minutes per class 45 minutes 50 minutes
Minutes of class per year 34,200 minutes 40,000 minutes
One year cost ~800,000 yen 990,000 yen
Cost per minute 23.4 yen 24.75 yen
Students per class 15-20 4-8
Class focus Lectures on academic Japanese Communicative Japanese practice


Student visa course

When Does It Start?

Courses start in April and October each year, and run for 12 months (extendable to 18 months).

If you are studying using a different kind of long-term visa (such as a Working Holiday visa), you can also start in January or July!


Schedule for students starting October 2018:

Term/holiday Dates Length
Arrivals September 23 – 29, 2018  
Orientation September 30, 2018  
Term 1 October 1 – December 14, 2018 11 weeks
Holiday 1 December 17, 2018 – January 4, 2019 3 weeks
Term 2 January 7, 2019 – March 22, 2019 11 weeks
Holiday 2 March 25 – March 29, 2019 1 week
Term 3 April 1 – April 26, 2019 4 weeks
Holiday 3 April 29 - May 3, 2019 1 week
Term 4 May 6 - June 28, 2019 8 weeks
Holiday 4 July 1 – August 9, 2019 6 weeks
Term 5 August 12 – September 20, 2019 6 weeks


Schedule for students starting April 2019*:
Term/holiday Dates Length
Arrivals March 25 - 30, 2019  
Orientation March 31, 2019  
Term 1 April 2 – April 26, 2019 4 weeks
Holiday 1 April 29 - May 3, 2019 1 week
Term 2 May 6 - June 28, 2019 8 weeks
Holiday 2 July 1 – August 9, 2019 6 weeks
Term 3 August 12 – December 13, 2019 18 weeks
Holiday 3 December 16 – January 3, 2020 3 weeks
Term 4 January 6 – March 13, 2020 10 weeks

*schedule subject to change at the discretion of the school

Who is Eligible?

The Japanese student visa course has only three specific requirements:

  1. You must be at Beginner 2 or lower level when starting with us. If your Japanese level is too high already, you won’t be able to take our one-year course, but a 6-month course might be possible.
  2. You or a family member must be able to show funds to pay for tuition and living expenses (minimum roughly 1,900,000 yen)
  3. You must apply before the deadline.
Preferred start date Application deadline
October 1, 2018 May 20, 2018
April 1, 2019 November 20, 2018
October 7, 2019 May 20, 2019

This means your completed student visa application, plus supporting documents, must be received in Japan by this date. So if you're thinking of applying for a student visa, we recommend applying early!

Reminder: This course is also available to people with other long-term visas, such as Working Holiday visa, Spouse/Dependent visa, etc, and if you apply using one of those visas instead, the deadline is only 1 month in advance!

Required Documents:

The specific documents you need to provide depend on your situation, but in general you will need:

  • Proof of identification
  • Proof of graduation from school (junior high or higher)
  • Proof of employment (if working)
  • Proof of bank balance and income (either yours or your financial sponsor’s)
When we receive your confirmed application, we will send you the student visa application form, and a list of required documents, along with detailed instructions.


How Much Does It Cost?

990,000 yen

This price includes all school costs, textbook costs, visa mailing charges, health check, and all other fees required to study with us, except accommodation. You will not be required to pay any other fees to study with us.

Student visa course


We also have a scholarship award available for students taking this course. For more information, click here.

Application Process

  Item Deadline (April start) Deadline (October start)
1 You fill out an estimate request form. November 15 May 15
2 We send you a formal estimate    
3 You confirm your enrollment to us. November 17 May 17
4 We enroll you, and send you the visa application    
5 You send us the completed visa application form. November 20 May 20
6 You send us the required documents December 1 June 1
7 We prepare everything and give it to Immigration December 15 June 15
8 Your visa is approved March 1 September 1
9 You pay for your course March 10 September 10
10 We send your visa to you    
11 You take the visa to the nearest Japanese embassy to have it stamped in your passport March 20 September 20
12 You come to Japan! Start of April Start of October

Can I Study Longer Than One Year?

Absolutely! There are a few different ways to do this:

  1. If you fit within our class levels, you can extend your student visa study at GenkiJACS to 18 months. This extension is done during your study year, so you would book the one-year course first, and extend later. (If you are studying on a working holiday visa, you will usually only be able to study for a maximum of one year.)
  2. If you would like to study for 2 years, or study academic Japanese for entry to a university, we can help you to transfer to one of our partner schools in Fukuoka. You would join the second year of their two-year course. As long as you have kept up with your study at GenkiJACS, the transition should be easy! Our partner school offers both academic and non-academic courses, so whichever you prefer, you'll be able to continue your study. And by applying through GenkiJACS, you may be eligible for a tuition discount!
  3. You can also go straight from GenkiJACS to a technical college or “senmon gakkou”. There is more information about technical colleges here.



  • As this course is already discounted, other discounts (returner's discount, group discount, etc.) do not apply to this course.
  • We cannot guarantee that your visa will be approved. However, as of 2017, we have a 100% visa acceptance rate.
  • In case of cancellation after the start of the program, refunds will be given for any 10-week course blocks that have not yet begun. No refund will be given for terms that have already begun. Canceling your course also means canceling your visa, and usually means leaving Japan. Please note that these conditions are different from our standard refund conditions.
  • Please note that because of government restrictions, students on student visa course must take at least 20 hours of lessons per week. Courses with less than 20 hours per week are not possible.
select a language:
English 日本語 Deutsch Espanol Francais Nederlands 中文

Get a free quote

Info for...
Agents University students JETS Tour groups High school students

fukuoka contacts

Genki Building Hakataekihigashi 1-16-23, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi 812-0013, Japan
Phone: +81 (0)92 472 0123


tokyo contacts

Hanazono Building 3F Shinjuku 5-17-6, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0022, Japan
Phone: +81 (0)3 6457 3554




student voices


Latest News


Blog Roll


Awards & Accreditations


    Customer Satisfaction Excellence Award Study Travel Magazine Star Awards - Winner 2016 International Association of Language Centres Yokoso Japan Study Travel Magazine Star Awards - Shortlisted 2017

GenkiJACS videos


Fukuoka school
Fukuoka intro video on Youtube

Tokyo school
Tokyo intro video on Youtube