One-Year Student Visa Course (Fukuoka only)
Since 2015, GenkiJACS’ Fukuoka Japanese Language School has been accredited by the Japanese government to offer student visas for one-year courses (extendable to 18 months) starting in April or October. This course is a great way to stay in Japan for an extended time, improve your Japanese proficiency to a high level, and maybe even work part-time too!
Looking for a short-term course instead?
The Japanese student visa application is quite complex and difficult. However, GenkiJACS can complete most of the process for you, and provides support in English for any parts you have to do. We're here to make it easy for you! As of 2017, 100% of our visa applications have been approved.
Please note that because of government restrictions on student visas, this course has some specific conditions, so please read this page carefully. The student visa has several government requirements, including academic (you must pass regular tests to move to the next unit of study) and attendance (you must attend more than 80% of classes or your visa may be cancelled). We recommend student visa applications for students who are serious about learning Japanese.
Our Standard Japanese course, booked and paid in advance for a year. You'll study 20 class hours per week - two classes focus on grammar, and two classes focus on applying your skills to real-world situations. Classes have a maximum of 8 students, and focus on communication skills for daily life, rather than academic Japanese. Most schools offer the minimum of 38 weeks of classes per year, but with Genki you’ll have a full 40 weeks of classes! While our student visa course is a little more expensive than other schools, it offers far far more:
|Class weeks per year
|Minutes per class
|Minutes of class per year
|One year cost
|Cost per minute
|Students per class
||Lectures on academic Japanese
||Communicative Japanese practice
When Does It Start?
Courses start in April and October each year, and run for 12 months (extendable to 18 months).
Schedule for students starting October 2017:
||October 2 – December 15, 2017
||December 18 – 29, 2017
||January 1 – March 16, 2018
||March 19 – 30, 2018
||April 2 – 27, 2018
||April 30 - May 4, 2018
||May 7 - June 29, 2018
||July 2 - August 10, 2018
||August 13 – September 21, 2018
Schedule for students starting April 2018:
||April 2 – June 29, 2018 (one week holiday: April 30 - May 4)
||July 2 – August 10, 2018
||August 13 – December 14, 2018
||December 17 – January 4, 2019
||January 7 – March 15, 2019
Who is Eligible?
The Japanese student visa course has only three specific requirements:
- You must be at Beginner 2 or lower level when starting with us. If your Japanese level is too high already, you won’t be able to take our one-year course, but a 6-month course might be possible.
- You or a family member must be able to show funds to pay for tuition and living expenses (minimum roughly 1,900,000 yen)
- You must apply before the deadline.
|Preferred start date
|April 2, 2018
||November 20, 2017
|October 1, 2018
||May 20, 2018
|April 1, 2019
||November 20, 2018
This means your completed student visa application, plus supporting documents, must be received in Japan by this date. So if you're thinking of applying for a student visa, we recommend applying early!
The specific documents you need to provide depend on your situation, but in general you will need:
- Proof of identification
- Proof of graduation from school
- Proof of employment (if working)
- Proof of bank balance and income (either yours or your financial sponsor’s)
When we receive your confirmed application, we will send you the student visa application form, and a list of required documents, along with detailed instructions.
How Much Does It Cost?
This price includes all school costs, textbook costs, visa mailing charges, health check, and all other fees required to study with us, except accommodation. You will not be required to pay any other fees to study with us.
||Deadline (April start)
||Deadline (October start)
||You fill out an estimate request form.
||We send you a formal estimate
||You confirm your enrollment to us.
||We enroll you, and send you the visa application
||You send us the completed visa application form.
||You send us the required documentsYou send us the required documents
||We prepare everything and give it to Immigration
||Your visa is approved
||You pay for your course
||We send your visa to you
||You take the visa to the nearest Japanese embassy to have it stamped in your passport
||You come to Japan!
||Start of April
||Start of October
Can I Study Longer Than One Year?
Absolutely! There are a few different ways to do this:
- If you fit within our class levels, you can extend your student visa study at GenkiJACS to 18 months. This extension is done during your study year, so you would book the one-year course first, and extend later.
- If you would like to study for 2 years, or study academic Japanese for entry to a university, we can help you to transfer to one of our partner schools in Fukuoka. You would join the second year of their two-year course. As long as you have kept up with your study at GenkiJACS, the transition should be easy! Our partner school offers both academic and non-academic courses, so whichever you prefer, you'll be able to continue your study. And by applying through GenkiJACS, you may be eligible for a tuition discount!
- You can also go straight from GenkiJACS to a technical college or “senmon gakkou”. There is more information about technical colleges here.
- As this course is already discounted, other discounts (returner's discount, group discount, etc.) do not apply to this course.
- We cannot guarantee that your visa will be approved. However, as of 2017, we have a 100% visa acceptance rate.
- In case of cancellation after the start of the program, refunds will be given for any 10-week course blocks that have not yet begun. No refund will be given for terms that have already begun. Canceling your course also means canceling your visa, and usually means leaving Japan. Please note that these conditions are different from our standard refund conditions.
- Please note that because of government restrictions, students on student visa course must take at least 20 hours of lessons per week. Courses with less than 20 hours per week are not possible.